Monday, February 2, 2009

Pinpointing the Root of Disgust

When asked why is something disgusting it seems almost impossible and unreasonable to pinpoint the root of the disgust.  That is until you realize that different things disgust different people and therefore disgust is not universal but personal. When looking up disgust in the dictionary it defines it as a "feeling of revulsion or profound disapproval by something unpleasant or offensive." This leads to the question of what makes something offensive.  The answer cannot be simply found in the dictionary because under offensive the definition loops back around to repulsive and disgusting. 
One idea that I pondered over is that disgust roots itself in something that is unusual, something that a person who is offended does not see everyday. In the case of Burroughs and "The Ticket That Exploded" he writes about situations that a human does not encounter from day to day, or maybe even ever.  These ideas can cause shock, which in some cases is offensive and therefore makes the reading material disgusting. The idea of a "Happy Cloak" consuming a human while they are hidden from what is going on in their pleasure is a situation the average reader does not come across from day to day.  What furthers the disgust in the reader is the fact that this idea, although not literally convincing that it would happen to the reader, mirrors situations that the reader faces in life.  For example, a reader may make the choice to abstain from certain addicting substances that have the potential to consume a human while they are masked in their pleasure from the substance, just like the idea of the happy cloak. But if a reader finds the idea of the happy cloak disgusting due to the fact that it is a near real idea, they should be equally disgusted by substances that have the same consuming effect (meth, alcohol, and other drugs).  If this is true than perhaps fear is a better word to use than disgust.
Thinking further about the root of disgust in situations that are not familiar I started thinking about things that disgust me.  The other week I was encountered with a clogged disposal at my house, after letting it drain and a weeks worth of garbage food sitting in the drain un-disposed of I was disgusted at the idea of reaching my hand in and clearing the clog.  I ended up not having to which was good because I would have definitely gagged, or been bodily disgusted.  Being disgusted at clearing soggy food that I eat every day discredited my idea that disgust comes from unfamiliarity.   I also realized there are many different levels of disgust.  Burroughs' book does not give me a sense of bodily disgust like the disposal in the sink. By bodily disgust I mean physical symptoms, gagging, feeling uneasy. This almost seems as if it is an innate reflex. Burroughs' book on the other hand does not cause me to gag but be disinterested.  The disgust in this book leads me to set the book down rather than feel sick or gag.  However, I cannot pinpoint why it is disgusting.

1 comment: